We are changing the world with our sustainable detection and monitoring solutions of insect pests.
Damage caused by insects has a huge impact on the way we live our lives, influencing everything from food production to forestry.
Despite the vast damage they cause, insects are usually only detected when the damage is already done. Manual inspections - which determine the presence of insect pests by the damage they’ve caused - are often too late to control an infestation with low-impact measures, leaving widespread insecticide use as the only option.
What damage can insects cause?
Did you know that:
- Insects cause $441 billion in damage each year
- 10% of food grown around the globe doesn’t even make it out of the field because of insect damage (CABI and Nature.com)
- Waste from crops ruined by insects contribute 2% to the global CO2 production - that’s more than aviation!
- In the last 40 years, insecticide use has led to a 50% reduction in insect biodiversity (DIRZO 2014)
- The explosive spread of insects leads to issues with food security, biodiversity and deforestation
Spotta's vision for improved insect management
Insect populations grow exponentially so early detection is critical in reducing their spread and minimising the damage they cause.
By using technology, we are helping create a world where insecticide use can be slashed from its current levels, helping to reverse the catastrophic trend in insect biodiversity.
Our IoT devices are designed to run autonomously for a year or longer, with our custom-designed algorithms able to identify species and provide real-time data on insect populations.
Armed with the knowledge of when, where and what insects are present helps everyone from farmers to forest managers make informed decisions about their insect management.
Early detection of insect pests will allow for more sustainable and effective pest management choices.